Mad Hatter Pepper (Garden Starter Plant)
Add interest to your garden and delicious flavor to your meals with Mad Hatter peppers, which look (fittingly!) like little hats. The unique disc-shaped, lobed fruit matures from green to bright red, adding ornamental beauty to the veggie garden. The taste, though, is the real reason to adore Mad Hatter. Its slightly floral, citrus flavor remains sweet with just a touch of heat near the seeds. Popular in Bolivian and Peruvian dishes, this prolific plant produces plenty of peppers for salads, pickling, or appetizers. Try Mad Hatter peppers stuffed with cheese for a tasty treat.
- Light: Full Sun
- Fruit size: 2 inches
- Matures: 65 to 70 days after planting (green), 85 to 90 days (red)
- Plant spacing: 24 to 36 inches apart
- Plant size: 32 inches tall, 36 inches wide
- Scoville heat units: Under 500
* Photos and description courtesy of Bonnie Plants.