Japanese Giant Red Mustard (Garden Starter Plant)
Dress up your garden with the bold maroon and chartreuse leaves of Japanese Giant Red Mustard. Raw in the garden, leaves serve a sinus-clearing punch akin to Dijon-style mustard. Washed and tossed in a salad, the peppery pungency tones down. Mature leaves are ideal for juicing, pickling, or use in Asian dishes. A single leaf gives a sandwich an unexpected kick. Or prepare like traditional Southern greens. Plants grow best in full sun, but will tolerate partial shade and even appreciate it in spring in hot climates. A head-turning beauty, this mustard has ornamental value too. Use it in the vegetable garden, flower beds, or containers.
- Light: Sun to Part Shade
- Leaf size: 12 to 18 Inches
- Matures: 40 to 45 days after planting
- Plant spacing: 12 to 18 Inches apart
- Plant size: 12 to 18 Inches tall and wide
* Photos and description courtesy of Bonnie Plants.