Celery (Garden Starter Plant)
This crunchy staple tastes best when harvested fresh from the garden. Early maturing stalks are crisp and flavorful. Plants grow well in most regions of the country, but no matter where you grow them, be sure to water regularly for best results. When harvesting, cut the outside stalks first. If stalks begin to sprawl as they grow, tie them together loosely with garden twine. Both stalks and leaves are edible; eat them raw, or use them in stir-fries, soups, and casseroles.
- Light: Full sun
- Matures: 80 days after planting
- Stalk size: 8 to 10 inches long
- Plant spacing: 10 to 12 inches apart
- Plant size: 8 to 10 inches tall
* Photos and description courtesy of Bonnie Plants.