Tabasco Hot Pepper (Garden Starter Plant)
Heirloom. This hot pepper is used to make the famous Tabasco® Sauce. Peppers mature from yellow-green to orange to red and have a unique, smoky flavor that contributes to Tabasco’s distinctive taste. While adapted to all areas of the US, plants produce continuously and will therefore produce the most peppers in the South and Southwest, where the growing season is longest. In frost-free areas, plants can live for several years. Easy to grow, the compact Tabasco is also a good choice for containers.
- Light: Full sun
- Fruit size: 1½ to 2 inches
- Matures: 80 days
- Plant spacing: 18 to 24 inches apart
- Plant size: 24 to 36 inches tall
- Scoville heat units: 30,000 to 50,000 (hot)
* Photos and description courtesy of Bonnie Plants.