Sweet Mint (Garden Starter Plant)
Mentha x suavis
Mint is one of the easiest herbs to grow. This one has extra large leaves that most cooks really like for chopping into sauces and drinks. Our sweet mint is grown from cuttings of a variety that comes to us from Israel, where mint is used in many dishes, from lamb to yogurt sauce. We think you’ll like the rich spearmint flavor of this variety. This plant can go a little crazy, though, so be careful or it can spread farther than you might like. For this reason many people grow it in a pot. The long stems can even be trained on a little wire trellis, especially in spots where a a bit of shade causes it to stretch. Keep pinched to encourage tender new leaves.
- Light: Full sun to partial shade
- Spacing: 24 inches
- Plant size: 1-2 feet tall and wide
- Garden use: Herb gardens, containers
- Culinary use: Teas and other beverages, salads, garnish, jelly, desserts
* Photos and description courtesy of Bonnie Plants.