Our Heirloom Sugar Baby Watermelon seeds will grow into the perfect sized watermelon for fridge storage.
Its flavor is in its name as sugar babies flesh is nice and sweet — just like sugar! This fruit grows to about 8 pounds, which is just the right size for your refrigerator. It is an early season variety that's high in vitamins A, B, and C, too.
- Flavor: Super sweet with fine grained flesh.
- Preparation Ideas: Cut in half and scoop out balls of watermelon to serve as a tasty snack or appetizer, or blend to make a watermelon smoothie!
- Plant Type: Fruit
- Fill Weight (grams): 1.5
- Grows Best In: Full Sun
- Days to Germination: 6-8 Days
- Days to Maturity: 95 Days
- Planting Depth: .5"
- Seed Spacing: Sow Sugar Baby Heirloom Watermelon seeds roughly 5' apart in rows, keeping rows approximately 6' apart.
Instructions: Start Sugar Baby Heirloom Watermelon seeds indoors 4 weeks before transplanting outdoors. Take care not to disturb roots when transplanting. Or, sow a few seeds over a hill 9"-12" tall and 2' across. When the plants are 3" tall, thin by cutting to 3 plants per hill. Use a balanced fertilizer to increase yield.
Suggestions: Choose a site with good drainage, good air circulation, and full sun. They're ready to harvest when the skin on the underside turns yellow and when a thump with knuckles produces a hollow sound.