Purple Top White Globe Organic Turnip is a long time favorite, and the most poplar turnip for table use.
The white flesh of its root is firm and fine-grained with a mild, sweet flavor. This cool weather vegetable is at its most tender when the roots are 2"-2.5" in diameter.
- Flavor: Tender with a smooth, old fashioned flavor.
- Preparation Ideas: Great when eaten fresh or roasted.
- Plant Type: Vegetable
- Fill Weight (grams): 4.8
- Grows Best In: Full Sun
- Days to Germination: 7-10 Days
- Days to Maturity: 55 Days
- Planting Depth: .5"
- Seed Spacing: Sow Purple Top Organic Turnip seeds roughly 5" apart in rows, keeping rows approximately 18" apart.
- Best Container Size: 12"+
Instructions: Sow Purple Top Organic Turnip seeds directly in the garden as early as the soil can be worked. Plant 2 seeds together every 5", covering firmly with soil. Thin to one plant every 5" when seedlings are 2.5"- 3" tall. Sow again in late summer for a fall crop.
Suggestions: Turnip roots become woody if they grow over 3" in diameter. To harvest, loosen soil around the base of leaves, then grab the tops and pull.