The Purple Tomatillo is a uniquely colored tomatillo noted for its sweet, yet tart, flavoring.
The plant itself provides a little visual flare with its striking purple-veined leaves. The small tomatillos form inside papery husks that ripen from green to a gorgeous deep, rich purple. This tomatillo variety will grow vigorous and highly productive plants.
Tomatillos are great grilled, diced for salsa or used as a taco topping.
- Flavor: Uniquely sweet, yet tart.
- Preparation Ideas: Adds a unique flavor to salsa.
- Plant Type: Vegetable
- Fill Weight (grams): 0.25
- Grows Best In: Full Sun
- Days to Germination: 7-10 Days
- Days to Maturity: 75-85 Days
- Growth Type: Indeterminate bush
- Planting Depth: .25"
- Seed Spacing: Sow Purple Tomatillo seeds roughly 2' apart in rows, keeping rows approximately 3' apart.
- Best Container Size: 18"+
Instructions: Start Purple Tomatillo seeds indoors in a sunny location 6 weeks prior to warm weather. Transplant outdoors in full sun when seedlings display 4-6 leaves and the weather is warm. Seeds can be sown directly into the garden when the soil is warm. Tomatillos cannot tolerate frost.
Suggestions: To keep tomatillos clean and easier to pick, support with stakes or cages. Tomatillos require at least an inch of water per week.