These Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce seeds grow into on of the most poplar loose leaf lettuce varieties for home gardeners everywhere.
Black Seeded Simpson lettuce has attractive frilled, crumpled leaves that are crisp, tender, and appetizing. This cool weather vegetable is a vigorous grower. Leaves are high in vitamins A and B!
Sow Easy seeds are pelleted with an all-natural coating made from a mix of clay, perlite, and FDA-approved food coloring. This coating adds some bulk to small seeds and stands out in the soil, making direct sowing and accurate spacing easier than ever. However, the coating does add a few days to the germination time when compared to uncoated seed.
- Flavor: Never bitter!
- Preparation Ideas: Mix in a large bowl with oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Plant Type: Vegetable
- Pelleted Seed Count: 250 Pelleted Seeds
- Grows Best In: Sun/Partial Shade
- Days to Germination: 7-10 Days
- Days to Maturity: 45 Days
- Growth Type: Loose leaf
- Planting Depth: .25"
- Seed Spacing: Sow Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce sow easy seeds roughly 6" apart in rows.
- Best Container Size: 12"+
Instructions: Sow directly in the garden as early as the soil can be made fine and loose. Plant seeds every 2", covering firmly with soil. Thin plants to 6" apart when they display 2 or 3 true leaves. As plants begin to crowd, pick individual leaves regularly for use.
Suggestions: Lettuce needs plenty of moisture. Also, fall crops may have to be started indoors since lettuce has a difficult time even germinating in hot weather. Transplant with care.