Bibb Lettuce is a butterhead lettuce variety considered a real delicacy among gardeners and salad connoisseurs alike.
The small, somewhat loose head of Bibb lettuce is easy to grow, tender and contains a distinctive flavor. Early starting this cool weather vegetable is advised in order to avoid bolting in hot weather.
- Flavor: Sweet, mild flavor and soft buttery texture.
- Preparation Ideas: Smaller leaves make for a great choice in sandwiches.
- Plant Type: Vegetable
- Fill Weight (grams): 1.2
- Grows Best In: Sun/Partial Shade
- Days to Germination: 7-10 Days
- Days to Maturity: 57 Days
- Growth Type: Butterhead
- Planting Depth: .25"
- Seed Spacing: Sow Bibb Lettuce seeds roughly 12" apart in rows.
Instructions: Sow Bibb Lettuce seeds directly in the garden as early as the soil can be made fine and loose. Plant seeds every 2", covering firmly with soil. Thin to 1 plant every 12" when seedlings are 2" tall. Harvest the entire Bibb lettuce head at maturity.
Suggestions: Lettuce needs plenty of moisture. Also, fall crops may have to be started indoors since lettuce has a difficult time even germinating in hot weather. Transplant with care.