Red Russian Kale has flat-leaf, dark green leaves with purple stems.
This tender leafed kale variety can grow to 2'-3' in height. Kale has a mild, sweet flavor. It can be grown as a spring and early fall crop.
- Flavor: Sweet and mild taste.
- Preparation Ideas: Bake this kale variety to make delicious kale chips.
- Plant Type: Vegetable
- Fill Weight (grams): 2
- Grows Best In: Sun/Partial Shade
- Days to Germination: 8-12 Days
- Days to Maturity: 50 Days
- Planting Depth: .25-.5"
- Seed Spacing: Plant Red Russian Kale seeds roughly 18" apart in rows.
- Best Container Size: 12"+
Instructions: To grow Red Russian Kale outdoors, sow in rows as soon as the ground can be worked. Place one seed every 4" and cover with soil. When plants are about 3" tall, thin to 12" apart. Harvest Red Russian Kales side leaves as needed when they measure 6"-8" in length.
Suggestions: Make several pickings during the season for abundant crop before hot weather. Sow again in midsummer for a fall crop. A light fall frost makes the pleasant flavor of the leaves even better. Bake them for tasty chips.