Savor classic Italian cuisine with the flavorful leaves of this oregano. An easy-growing plant for the garden or container, Italian oregano hails from the Mediterranean region. That means it thrives with lower humidity and well-drained soil. In the garden, use this oregano as an edging plant. Plants spread when happy, rooting along the stems. Harvest leaves or stems anytime during the growing season. Flavor is most intense just before plants flower. Trim plants often to keep flower formation at bay.
- Light: Full sun to partial shade
- Spacing: 12 to 18 inches apart
- Plant size: 12 to 18 inches tall
- Garden use: Herb gardens, containers
- Culinary use: Major ingredient in Italian cuisine
* Photos and description courtesy of Bonnie Plants.