Enjoy oregano aroma and flavor on pizza, in egg dishes, and in tomato sauces. Native to the Mediterranean region, this plant prefers climates with lower humidity, so keep the foliage and roots away from too much moisture. Give it good air circulation. For that reason, it is perfectly suited for a container. In the ground it makes a ground-cover-like mat. Harvest anytime, but especially as the stems begin to get tall and are getting ready to flower — that is when the leaves are the most flavorful. Cut it back several times during the growing season to harvest the leaves from the stems.
- Light: Full sun to partial shade
- Spacing: 12 to 18 inches
- Plant size: 8 inches tall; 24 inches tall when in bloom
- Garden use: Herb gardens, containers
- Culinary use: Major ingredient in Greek, Italian, and Spanish cuisine
* Photos and description courtesy of Bonnie Plants.