Beautiful reddish-bronze leaves have a fern-like appearance and a sweet anise flavor. They’re a nice addition to salads, coleslaw, and flavored butters. The flowers are edible and can be used for garnishing fish, beef, tomato, and potato dishes. If your main reason for growing this plant is for the leaves, though, remove blooms to prevent it from going to seed. Seeds can be used to freshen breath, and are an ingredient in some “natural” toothpastes.
- Light: Full sun
- Spacing: 4 to 6 inches apart
- Plant size: 24 to 36 inches tall
- Garden use: Containers, herb garden
- Culinary use: Salads, dressings, coleslaw, flavored butters
* Photos and description courtesy of Bonnie Plants.