Growing several varieties on one tree is a practical, fun way to produce more kinds of fruit in a small space as well as spread the harvest over a longer season.
- Fuji: Sweet, very crisp and flavorful, excellent keeper. Dull reddish orange skin, sometimes russeted. Excellent pollenizer for other apple varieties.
- Gala: Wonderful dessert apple from New Zealand. Crisp, nice blend of sweetness and tartness, rich flavor. Skin reddish orange over yellow. Early harvest. Good pollenizer for other varieties. Adapted to cold- and warm-winter climates.
- Golden Delicious: Long-time favorite for its sweetness and flavor. Reliable producer, adapted to many climates. Pollenizer for Red Delicious.
- Braeburn: Superb late season fruit: very crisp and tangy, more flavorful than Granny Smith. Excellent keeper. Green with dark red blush.
- Gravenstein: Famous for sauce and baking, also used fresh. Crisp, juicy, flavorful and tart. Early bloom, early harvest. Not a pollenizer for other varieties.
- Red Delicious: Sweet but very mild flavor, somewhat reminscent of slightly over-ripe melon. The flesh is juicy and has a light crispness.